Thursday 9 June 2011

BAGS FOR SHAKESPEARE’S HEROINES - 2

On Saturday 4th July Anne Rodgers visited us for the second time with more of her wonderful bags.
Each bag was explained in detail with the background of the play and how, because in Shakespeare’s time women did not appear on stage, boys played the part of women but the same boy would play the part of a young man and back to a young woman again.

I discovered from Anne’s talk, the reason I could never really understand any of the plays when we studied them in school.  To me they were very confusing and I hardly ever knew what was going on – if only Anne had been my teacher!!!  We learnt such a lot whilst still appreciating the quality of the work in each bag.

We were talked through bags for Rosalind in As You Like It; Viola in Twelfth Night; Kathryn in the Taming of the Shrew and many others.  All the bags were beautifully stitched and some are shown below -

P1010915
Kathryn’s bag from the Taming of the Shrew – Italianate style ‘laced up’.

P1010914
Cleopatra’s bag refers to a line in the play – she was ‘pursed up’.

Thank you Anne – I am sure many of us will now go to the theatre  and understand more of what is going on, but I bet the heroines will not be carrying bags as sumptuous as yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment