Monday 5 September 2011

REGIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL at Alston Hall.

This annual event attracts a variety of interesting tutors for a weekend in July. 
Sue Chisnall, one of our members attended and her report is shown below -

“This is my second time of attending and I can truthfully say I am now hooked!!  I really fancied the workshop with Francis Pickering on Cherished Books ands luckily managed to get a place.

Francis’ books are enchanting, normally with the theme of nature and with applicable sayings and quotes.  She keeps a record of all the quotes, poems and snippets that she sees and hears and uses them when needed (a really good idea).

I really fell in love with the way she colours the pages and will definitely use this method again.
My book was on geology and I have yet to fill the pages although I have made a good start.  The beauty of this method is that you can work on the pages as and when the mood takes you.

The weather (as usual) was diabolical and long walks to keep the weight down, after eating non-stop, were out of the question.  However as we worked until 10p.m most nights, I never had time to be bored and just flopped into bed at night – what an experience and with the added bonus of seeing old faces (not literally) and making new friends.
I can’t wait for next year!!

Some photographs of work in progress – Sandie Meher’s ‘Dragonfly’ book.

SS-S meher1     image

Sue’s ‘Geology’ book -

image   image
I really wanted to attend this course but couldn’t go this year, so I went to have tea with everyone on the Saturday and was so bowled over by the wonderful papers everyone had produced for their books that I just had to have a go when I got home -

image
I just need to make a book now – I already have a poem in mind but need some spare time to get started!!

No comments:

Post a Comment