Friday 18 January 2013

Show & Tell– 12th January -Sandra Kedzlie

No. 4 – Me!!!! – My Diploma Poster. 

I was studying for the Creative Studies Diploma in 1995  when I lived in Northamptonshire and attended a lecture and exhibition by Sheila Paine in the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford entitled ‘Embroideries from Islamic Journeys’.
I was fascinated by the colours and patterns in these textiles and decided to use them for the summer project for the course.
Alongside the exhibition and talk a Study Day was organised which I attended and worked the sample piece shown below-

image

Returning to college we had to work very large scale ‘On the Wall’ drawings, over a period of 4 weeks – each week changes being made by other students until the final piece was finished by the originator of the work – this picture shows a small part of the overall design in the fourth week.

image    

From this we then had to choose sections to create small drawings, and as it was a while before computer design programmes were widely available, I took them to a photocopy shop to be enlarged before making stitched samples showing the development from original source to a final piece.

    image 

  Poster 2 001       

The samples were photographed by the college and eventually mine was chosen to be used for the final year poster – actually not my favourite of the 4 pieces I did but I shouldn’t complain!!!!

   image

No comments:

Post a Comment