Tuesday 18 September 2012

A MEMBER’S ENTRY FOR A COMPETITION IN HER OWN WORDS by Karen Hurrell.

I signed up for Janet Browne's workshop at the NW Region Summer School at Alston Hall this year, but struggled to think of what I would do during the workshop. I came up with an unusual solution. I took along an idea for a piece on the theme of 'York - celebration of a city' which, if I could make it quickly enough, could become part of an exhibition celebrating York's 800th anniversary. I hoped that this would prevent me from ending up with another UFO in the cupboard!

Well, I spent the Summer School weekend working on two samples (still unfinished) and only got as far as drawing up a design for the full size piece. A couple of days' leave and a weekend later, I had managed to do most of the appliqué and submitted two rather poor quality photographs of my 'work in progress' for consideration - on the final morning for entries. Over the next two weekends I continued working on it: finishing the appliqué, embellishing with free machine embroidery and adding texture with free machine quilting. I still didn't know at this point whether it would be selected.

On 13 August I got the email I had been waiting for, and to my surprise my work had been selected! I then had only five evenings to finish it: adding a facing to the shaped edge and finally a label and hanging sleeve. I just managed to finish before heading off on holiday. You can see the finished piece on display, along with 30+ other quilts, in York until 16 November. A list of venues is available from York Tourist Information, the Quilt Museum and Gallery or anywhere displaying a quilt.

Go to Karen’s own blog for more information and close up pictures – Serpentine Stitches

Well done Karen – a great achievement and a super piece of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment